Thursday, January 29, 2009

Gup shap -5

It is long since I wrote anything on my blog. Well I’ve been a little busy, a little unwell and a lot lazy. My daughter visited us briefly in the first week of January and it was fun having my grand daughters with me to celebrate Pongal. College problems persisted and we were once again busy fighting for our dues from the government. The 6th pay recommendations are due from 2006 but we continue to bicker for the implementation of the 5th pay commission’s recommendations. When it does get implemented we find that our fixation is all wrong and we actually stand to lose money instead of gaining by it. All we could do was to request that our old scale be continued till it is rectified. Whoever says that India is shining, is an optimist. Unfortunately I am not. India can never shine if those entrusted with higher education are given step motherly treatment by the government. Why would anyone want to take up teaching as a career option if teacher’s have to fight for their rights and the non teaching staff are reminded that their services hold no value to the powers that run the country?

Now that was not what I wanted to write about in a come back post. So let me write about my health. I am a really sweet person you know? That is perhaps why my blood sugar remains high even after a breakfast of 2 biscuits and a glass of sugar free coffee. My doctor promptly increased my medicine and has asked me to have a battery of tests done after 15 days of trial. In the meantime I have to deal with a frozen shoulder and spondilitis. Serves me right for ignoring my shoulders!

Why my shoulder chose to freeze is beyond my understanding. May be I ignored it for too long and took it for granted. Just as a wife’s role in a household. I valued my arms but ignored the shoulder that supported them. The condition is horrible. Being vertically challenged (Should I say handicapped) I stand short with about 2/3 of the blackboard above my head. I manage to reach about 3/4 of the board with my stretched hands when my shoulder co-operates. Now I only reach till the level of my nose or my eye if I put up with a little pain and my students give me strange looks. I seem to want to scratch my back more often these days and my hands just don’t take orders from me. I try doing something simple as taking out a bottle from my kitchen shelf and the pain that follows drives me to tears. To add to my woes my doctor asks me to wait for a whole year before approaching him again. He has suggested exercises and I’d look crazy doing them. Like I have to place my palm against the wall and crawl up the wall for as high as I can manage and bring it down in slow motion. Hold on to a railing or grill till the level of about a half a foot above my head and move away till my hand hurts. If you treat the shoulders with care and respect the pain is tolerable at times and almost non existent at other times. But try ignoring it, the pain returns with a vengeance so what if it is the middle of the night and one is enjoying a sweet dream.

What next I wonder? Will my hip clamor for attention too? After all they support my feet and need to be taken care of. Till I fell victim I had not heard of a frozen shoulder. Now several others share their experiences. Like the gentleman whose right and left shoulders froze at the same time. I promptly thanked my shoulders for taking turns to freeze. Yes this is the second time this is happening. Way back in 2001 it was the other shoulder that froze. In my confusion I forgot that it was my right shoulder that froze earlier and it is my left that is creating trouble now. The blackboard agony has now been replaced by my need to change gears while driving. When I change gears I try to be as careful and slow as possible and once the job is done I almost thank my shoulder for being kind and considerate.

This is no laughing matter I assure you. Every finger and every toe is important so are the heart that cannot afford to miss a beat or the lung, liver as well as each and every organ in the body. We take life too much for granted and it took a frozen shoulder to help me realize its worth and value. Wishing each one of you health and happiness.

26 comments:

aMus said...

i agree teachers are the most neglected lot and it is so not fair..i can't understand this stepmotherly treatment to the ones who are responsible for shaping the minds of our country's future...

frozen shoulder...that's painful..my mum has spondylitis and it always accelerates during winter...and teh worse oart is noone can help you but yourself...other than being considerate and sympathetic...
:(

take care,HHG and keep on with those exercises....

Anonymous said...

HHG - I suffered from frozen shoulder a couple of years ago too - and though the exercises are painful and boring, they are really worth it! I've also found that yoga is very helpful if done regularly - perhaps you could try once your current shoulder condition subsides... Good luck! (and with your pay issues too...)

Artnavy said...

my mom's frozen shoulder is a little better now

wearing sari bluses can be extremely painful at times i understand

srijithunni said...

Hip Granma, hope you get well soon. I read somewhere that the shoulder is the most important part of our body, because you lend it to someone you love when they want to cry. Take some rest, and get rejuvenated, because you still have the 6th pay recommendations to fight for.! :)

Me too have been lazy, and busy. Nice to drop in here.

Have Fun, Take Care and God Bless!

With Best Regards,
Srijith.

Monika said...

ooops....please take care of ur health...

why dont u try some Neurotherapy it really helped one of my friends mom....

take care

Anonymous said...

Hello HHG,
My mom and my MIL both suffered from frozen shoulder. The exercise you mentioned is exactly what they did. And if you think that is funny, let me tell you one more funny exercise. Tie a rope to the wrist on the hand with frozen shoulder. Throw the other end of the rope over some horizontal pole and hold it in the other hand. And try to pull the paining hand in a pulley like action till you can comfortable bear the pain. This worked for both my MIL and my mom. Hope you feel better soon.

Sugar said...

dear hhg,

hope the unfreezing happens soon...

i know. these pay commission recommendations are the most ridiculous. Oil cos can go on strike. Can teachers?

Ugich Konitari said...

HHG, what a coincidence. I've been cribbing about frozen shoulders too, except its supposed to be warning signs and not the full blown thing. But it seems one exercise helps. Done to music , one even tends to feel like one is in a film. it seems you hold two end sof the towel(bath walaah) in each hand. Then do an action like you would to dry your back after bath , (you know the sideways towel movement mvong both hand s in a horizontal plane, drying your back); except here you do the movement vertically, with the frozen hand dolding the lower end. Then you try and pull up the frozen hand held towel with the other hand oabove your head. Supposed to help.

And yes, ultrasonic therapy looks promising. I just got back from having a sitting for my shoulder. .....

dipali said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your aches and pains as well as the nonsense doled out to teachers post the Pay Commissions.
Take care of yourself, HHG. Yes, most of us do take our bodies for granted, neglecting to give them the care they deserve.

Mampi said...

Agree that you must respect every single muscle and ligament of your body otherwise they mind it and land you in a cold soup, LOL.
Your post is very warm and very sweet-as sweet as your blood is.
welcome back
Hope the new pay commission recommendations are good for you.

Hip Grandma said...

Hi all,
I was touched by your responses.I feel like creating a family tree for us,bloggers.
Ugich and enchanted I tried the exercises mentioned by you and will continue to do so.Thanks for the concern.Can anyone tell me why this happens in the first place?

Jaya said...

http://www.medicinenet.com/frozen_shoulder/article.htm

Hope that helps giving you more insight. Take care and belated Happy Birthday. Was it yours or HHGranpa on Jan 26?

hillgrandmom said...

HHG, frozen shoulder really is painful. But the great thing about it is that it actually resolves completely by itself--but it takes around 2 years. With exercise, the recovery is quicker of course. I had my right shoulder frozen maybe a few years ago. You probably need to be careful in your computer position too. Take care and try to sleep with your frozen shoulder's arm tucked carefully under your body.

Anonymous said...

oh.. get well soon..

shoulders are really very imp for teachers.. also keep ur sugar levels in control as that also tends to increase troubles inside the body..

Sumana said...

Take care HHG. I am sure we take life for granted and realise its importance when we are in pain. Get going on an exercise routine. Hope you are getting better.
The big heads roam around in Altis and what not. Wh really cares for the ones who are actually doing the job? I can understand the emotions.

starry said...

sorry to hear that you are unwell.I do hope you feel better.I have to agree that teachers are neglected and unrepresented, even though they play such an important role in society.sending you a warm hug to soothe your pain from Across the miles.

Hip Grandma said...

Joy:your link was useful thanks.

hillg'mom;it isn't my shoulder alone.The doc has doubled my medicine but sugar level remains high.frozen shoulder is difficult to deal with.but then which ailment is easy?

oorjas:Thanks for your concern.I'll do that.

sumana:i try to be regular with my exercises but i do neglect at times.

lalitha;thanks for your hugs from across the miles.

Prats said...

Each time we criticise teachers in my son's school, I wonder about the treatment meted out to them. It is unfair yes, hopefully things will progress and get better.

But HHG, please do take care of your health. Its very painful for us to see you in pain. Wish something could be done ..
take care

Justin Hess said...

Hey there Hip Hop Grandmom,sorry to read about your shoulder issues. My mother got diagnosed with the condition a while back and is now fully healing with the use of active release therapy,may wanna check into it!

Ive also started a blog of my own to help spread the word on healing this painful condition www.frozenshoulderpainblog.com

Take care

Ramya Ramadurai said...

Hi HHG,
This is my first time here. I am enjoying reading your posts very much and I hope to be a regular from now on!

Just Like That said...

Really sorry to hear about your shoulder, HGMom.. Hope you get better soon, and hope your pay issues get sorted out too.
And if it was your B'day, a very happy b'day to you too.:-) Please pass the wishes to HGPa if it was his B'day.

WhatsInAName said...

dear hhgmom
really sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I hope and pray you get well soon. Have seen my MIL suffering from the same. We feel so helpless actually.
And you are so right about taking life for granted. I have been detected with eye pressure. and i also have weak bones. Sigh life is like that
Anyways get well soon

Hip Grandma said...

prats:those were kind words and when I get these get well wishes from you people i feel better even without my medicines.thanks soo ........much.

justin:welcome here.I cannot access the site mentioned by you.I think i need to be invited.

galadriel:Welcome here and I hope you continue to visit.

JLT:Thanks for your get well wishes as well as b'day wishes.It was my b'day on the 26th Jan.

whatsinaname:start taking calcium suppliments right away.They help strengthening one's bones.how is your mother in law?

Vishesh said...

well this is the first time I have seen you write something like the first para...I agree the country is going crazy! And the idea of young people taking up is bugging..no one will want to follow a young guy...they prefer the old men who tell things which people shift responsibility and make look like some hell...

TC..

Hip Grandma said...

vishesh:i don't think i get you?was this a comment meant for someone else?

Tys on Ice said...

sorry to hear abt the frozen shoulder....have u tried those ayurvedic massages?...my mum knows this place called shantigiri, where u can stay and do a complete treatment...its a great place to stay also...madhu knows the details...go with ur better half, treat it like a vacation...