Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Gup shup ??

Long since I wrote anything. In the initial years of blogging I would find something or the other to write about. The blog became a platform to express my views and to connect with like minded people across the world. I made a few friends some of whom are my Facebook friends now. Somehow blogging is no longer the passion it used to be ten years ago. I wrote for Women’s web too. These days I seem to be doing nothing. My arthritic knee keeps troubling me and a morning stroll is all I seem to manage. The house is clamouring for attention and I keep postponing the minimum cleaning it deserves.

I sometimes wonder what's gotten into me. Nothing seems to interest me. It's ages since I listened to music. Yesudas was a favourite. I used to love his Krishna and Ayyappa songs. I enjoyed the wit and humour in Jayantisri ‘s talks that dealt with topics that interest me too. I am not into reading books. At least not as much as I used to. The last book I read was Sita by Amish and that was two months back. I have a book by Tom Wolf that I want to complete reading having startedit. It is interesting. But reading 735 pages in fine print may not be a challenge I can or want to take up. I think I will look for something less daunting.

I need to shake myself out of this state of inertia. To start with I think I will shorten the nightie that my daughter gave me and alter the Kameez that is a wee bit loose around the chest. And I am going to work at making myself look presentable each evening. All those starched and ironed saris in my wardrobe need to be aired out and what better way than to wear them in turns. But then I always associate getting dressed up with going out. In the comfort of my home I just cannot get decked up. I need to wear soft, loose and comfortable dresses. If I dress up in an ironed sari I need to go out. But the thought of climbing down the stairs puts me off. At least  for me climbing down is harder than climbing up. Maybe once our lift is installed I may socialize more. I had plans of starting a small interactive session for ladies who wish to get comfortable with spoken English which could later get transformed to a place where they could exchange notes regarding house keeping and counsel each other about problems faced by them with teenaged children and a demanding school curriculum. This would keep me engaged and my saris would be put to use. Hopefully our lift would get installed soon.

I wonder if this happens to others too? After years of busy schedule and active life why this slow down? Do I miss my work life so much that nothing seems to replace it? Or is it just a part of the ageing process?
Whatever it is I need to get going. This is certainly not the kind of life I want to lead. Wish me luck. Once I get active I may have more to write in my blog.

11 comments:

Dee said...

I am undergoing the same phase despite the fact that I am the next gen :) i love gymming and cooking and forced to like teaching my kids ;) that apart it's so boring ! I sometimes think I miss the action in India !!

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend,
Many years ago blogging happened to me as an outcome of boredom, I owe it to a chat friend who advised me to start a blog .
Blogging opened me to a world Of good great friends. And those who were like minded

I enjoyed their company . It kept me occupied . Also would exercise my brain to think for topics to blog.

all my blogmates were scholarly and they wrote well and amazing stuff.
Usha and you wrote about great things I could relate to easily,

Then all stopped and I drifted away with other responsibilities .

I too now feel bored and want those days back
Perhaps they will return in some other form.

Staying positive is what best could be done .

Was checking after a Long time for your post
And found one
Thanks and take care

Passerby

Hip Grandma said...

Deepa: Feels good to note that I am not alone. Bloggers who are half my age also go through the phase.But you have a kid who clamours for your attention. So how boring can it be? Blogging helps one to connect with others of the same wavelength. So don't give it up.

Passerby: I am glad that you keep track of my posts even now. Truly the initial years of blogging kept me engaged and I did make quite a few friends like you who encouraged me to write. Like you I too would think of topics to blog about and wait for comments like a student waiting for her answer paper and the grade her teacher would give her.
May be I will maintain a journal and post what I wish to share with my readers and keep the rest private.

Surabhi said...

Dear Aunty,
I will pray that the lift gets installed soon. I hope you are taking the necessary medication for the knees. You are a very strong woman, but please do take care of yourself. With age and changing weather , you need extra attention.
Your blog posts are always uplifting.
Cheer up Aunty, things will get better soon.

-Surabhi

Hip Grandma said...

Surabhi: That was a pleasant surprise. Thanks for your concern. I will take proper care of my knees even if it is for the concern shown by people like you. Since when have you been reading my posts?

Dee said...

Very true ! My boys keep me busy and life interesting !! I have a decade of action before me ;) but still once in a while I go down until I find a new passion and ride on it for a while :)

hillgrandmom said...

I can so relate Hip Grandma! And I am also glad to know that I am not the only one. I was beating myself up for my inertia. I still teach it is true, till noon. But after that all I want to do is--nothing!! I have been trying to update my blog at least occasionally. Take care of your knee and maybe this inertia is a time when you are taking care of yourself instead of the other way around?

Radha said...

It happened to me. I had stopped blogging too. Now I thought I should revive it at least to keep me going and reach out to my virtual friends. Get well soon. I too suffer from a frozen shoulder but it definitely is not as debilitating as a bad knee. Get yourself a metal brace, it helps.

Anonymous said...

Its been long since you wrote anything. Waiting to read your blogs again. Hope everything is well.

hillgrandmom said...

Reading all your old posts now. Glad to see you blogging again.

Hip Grandma said...

Thanks for indulging me Hillg'mom. Do you blog still?